16.9.16

Who? What? Why?


This week we were tasked with creating a 60-second film entitled "Who? What? Why?". No editing or post-production was allowed, which meant that pre-planning was key. Since I have a generally terrible short-term memory, I resorted to writing my lines down on a piece of paper so I could film it all in one take without any mistakes. Unfortunately I did make a few errors, but not enough to warrant another take. I'd like to think that my mistakes contribute to the theme of this task, or that could just be a lazy way to say that I wasn't willing to apply another layer of make-up.

When we were discussing how we would go about making this short film, I vaguely remember someone making a reference to make-up and how they wouldn't be caught dead without it, or something to that nature. This gave me the idea to remove my make-up in this video. I knew that I wanted to push myself with this task and do something different to what I thought would be the easy option, and that alone probably says a lot about me as well. There are a lot of people out there who use make-up to hide behind a mask and, unfortunately, sometimes I'm one of them. I used this to break out of my comfort zone and try something that I wasn't necessarily comfortable with.

If I had the chance to both shoot this again and use post-production, the first thing I'd fix was the framing. I think I was sitting too close to the tripod, and moving it further away would prevent the cramped feeling of my posture, and also the cramping in my neck. Knowing my lines more instinctively would've definitely helped, but I'm not sure if I'd have used post-production in this case, if I'd had another chance. I like the relevance to the task that the lack of editing gives it - that you have 60 seconds to convey a part of yourself that you'd like other people to see. Although editing may've made this a more professional looking film, it might have taken away from the overall individuality of the end product.

The only other difficulty I had while doing this task was lugging a heavy tripod down to my local park, which I got quite a few weird looks for.

No comments:

Post a Comment